Monday, February 14, 2005

Computational Theology

I was looking at Sun's Core Java Technologies Tech Tips for January 4, 2005, and I saw that Gilad Bracha is described as a computational theologist. In the Wikipedia, Theology seems to be about religion. Does this means that Gilad is someone who tends to get into religious debates about programming? Or is this a pay grade at Sun? Perhaps someone can explain this term to me.

[Later]

I think I see what Gilad is trying to say. One of the things I respect about the Jewish tradition is that they are taught not to accept the holy books at face value, but instead to question and argue about them. I think he means that he brings this approach to the design of programming languages. The risk in using such a term is that it could be misunderstood all over the place.

MindView Home Page