Friday, March 25, 2005

PyCon and SD

I think it's been years since I've given a talk that was less than 45 minutes or an hour. Everyone except the keynote speakers at PyCon had 1/2 hour. Naturally I had too much material and had to blaze past the slides at the end. Many people were very kind and told me they had enjoyed the talk but it felt unresolved to me. All the talks were both recorded and videotaped, and so eventually you should be able to hear or see it and decide for yourself -- not just my talk, but the entire conference! (The actual distribution strategy has not yet been devised, so you should watch the www.Python.org website).

It was again interesting to experience and contrast the SD conference with PyCon.

SD is best described as a teaching conference. There are half-day and full-day pre-conference tutorials, and during the conference all the talks are 1.5 hours long (I created both the C++ and Java tracks for the SD conference and chaired them for many years, and so I helped evolve this structure). All the subjects are intended to be well-established on the acceptance curve; this is a commercial conference and they want each topic to have a strong draw. SD is a good place to go in order to develop expertise, almost as if it were a multi-subject professional development seminar.

PyCon is a community conference. It is actually developed and organized by volunteers from the Python community, and any profits go into the Python Software Foundation (PSF), which promotes the language and lately has even begun to give grants for the development of various aspects of Python (a recent grant was to update Jython, for example). PyCon is thus much more edgy and experimental and this adds a lot of excitement to the conference. For example, I had almost forgotten how great the lightning talks are. These are 5 minute talks about whatever you are doing or find interesting. The 5-minute limit is an example of a "liberating constraint," because people are willing to take far more risks if it's only 5 minutes. Also, you can easily get a last-minute inspiration and do a talk. Because it's 5 minutes, you don't dally or wander -- you get right to the meat of your subject. And for the audience, it's especially nice because if there's a talk that doesn't interest you or you don't understand, all you have to do is wait 5 minutes. And the things that you learn are far broader than you will find in the more formal talks. My favorite was a use of PyGame, a 3-D game-building framework that's been around for years and continues to amaze me, and is apparently used for commercial products. The presenter apparently holds a contest each year, and this year's theme was randomness. He had created a game called "Ducks" which had delightfully primitive drawings for the graphics. The ducks would chase you, drop things, etc. We didn't see much of it but it was hilarious; a game I'd like to play.

PyCon also has "sprints" before or after the conference proper, where you get together around a topic and work on it for 1-4 days; typically this involves writing code but I coached one where we were just exploring a topic; it was really more of an OpenSpace but I found it helpful.

Although I learned a great deal from the half-hour presentations, the lightning talks and OpenSpace events were what passed the nod test. When I travel to a different time zone I don't sleep that well, and the best way to help me catch up on my sleep is to put me in a room and do an eyes-forward presentation. Since I'm not interacting, the steady words from the presenter will often send me off. It's clear in those situations that I'm sleep deprived. But when the environment is more energetic and interactive (and even though the lightning talks were presentations, they felt more interactive), I feel very awake.

I have organized a number of meetings where we relied solely on OpenSpaces, which means that everyone in the meeting decided what was important to them and everyone at a particular OpenSpace was actively interested in the topic. These are the most nonstop energizing experiences I've had, and the only downside is that at conventional conferences like SD and even at PyCon, I am very aware of "energy gaps," which in the past I've simply accepted as inevitable and unavoidable. Once you've experienced an OpenSpace conference you wake up to the possibilities of what the word "conference" can really mean (both of the conferences I am holding this summer are OpenSpace conferences).

PyCon is more of an agile conference, and they are constantly re-evaluating things. One topic that came up was that a significant number of attendees who are newer to the language would like some sort of tutorial material to come up to speed so that the regular sessions would make more sense to them. So PyCon needs to become a little more like SD in that sense. SD could use more of the kinds of things that inject energy into the atmosphere that PyCon has. And, although PyCon already recognized this, both conferences need to do things that bring people together in the evenings. The PyCon folks tried to get a party sponsored this year, but I've never found a conference-wide party to be all that stimulating, and as they discovered it costs a lot and takes a lot of effort; the payoff isn't that great, in my opinion. A simple thing I've seen done at some conferences is just helping people get into groups to go out to dinner. These could organize around a speaker or a topic, and should probably have limits on size since dinner doesn't scale up so well. Another possibility is to have evenings that are exclusively OpenSpace oriented, since then there would be no competition with talks (perhaps at a conference, most or all of the OpenSpaces should be moved to the evening for this reason).

To me, the best things that happen at a conference are those that start conversations and interactions with people. After all, the reason that we travel from all over the place and come together in the same physical space is to connect. Especially with the internet, where we can do online everything that doesn't involve connection.

MindView Home Page